REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the spindle cap without damaging the sealing portion of the cap.
- Unfasten the staked portion of the nut using a suitable chisel.
- Remove the castle nut and washer.
- Slacken the parking brake cable by loosening its adjusting nuts.
- Remove the backing plate plug, located on the back side of the backing plate.
- Insert a suitable tool into the plug until its tip contacts the shoe hold-down and push the spring in the direction of the leading shoe. The allows a greater clearance between the shoes and the drum.
- Remove the drum from the spindle.
- Install the drum on the spindle.
- Install the castle nut and washer.
- Tighten castle nut to 129 ft. lbs. (175 Nm), then stake in place.
- Install the spindle cap.
- Install the wheel and tire, then lower the vehicle.