REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The 1985-88 Sprint uses a solid rear axle assembly. The rear spindle assembly is an integral part of the rear axle assembly. If the spindle is damaged, the rear axle assembly must be replace. The rear bearing and seal are located inside of the hub of the brake drum, which is then mounted to the spindle. Refer to Rear Axle removal and installation procedure in this Section for more information.1989-93 Metro
The Metro uses an independent rear suspension. The rear wheels are mounted on knuckles much like the front wheels.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies, then the brake line, retaining clip and flexible hose from the center of the rear axle.
- Remove the tension spring from the rear axle, disconnect the parking brake cable from the turn buckle and the cable joint.
- Remove the brake backing plate from the knuckle after removing the 4 plate retaining bolts.
- Using a suitable jack, support under the lower suspension arm to prevent it from lowering.
As a preparatory step for this removal, check the stamped line on the washer to use for a guide in the reinstallation.
- Remove the lower strut mounting bolt.
- Remove the lower knuckle mounting bolt.
- Remove the knuckle (spindle) from the suspension arm and from the strut.
If it is hard to remove the knuckle from the strut, open the slit in the knuckle by inserting a wedge. Do not open the slit wider than necessary.To install:
- Install the knuckle assembly onto the lower end of the strut. Align the projection on the strut against the slit of the knuckle and push the strut into the knuckle until it is properly positioned.
- Install the lower strut retaining bolt and tighten to a torque of 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the lower mount end of the knuckle to suspension arm. Torque the nut to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Remove the jack from under the suspension arm.
- Torque the knuckle lower mount nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the backing plate and secure with the retaining bolts. Torque the retaining bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the brake hose bracket to the knuckle. Install the brake line to the wheel cylinder and tighten the line to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Install the breather plug cap to the breather plug. Install the brake drum assembly.
- Install the control rod and control rod nuts. Torque the nuts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Confirm that all removed components are installed and securely in place.
- Adjust the rear brakes and bleed the system.