REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheel assembly.
- Remove the dust cap, the cotter pin, the castle nut and the washer.
- Loosen the adjusting nuts of the parking brake cable.
- Remove the plug from the rear of the backing plate. Insert a suitable tool through the hole, making contact with the shoe hold-down spring, then push the spring to release the parking brake shoe lever.
- Using a slide hammer tool and a brake drum remover tool, pull the brake drum from the halfshaft.
- Using a brass drift and a hammer, drive the rear wheel bearings from the brake drum.
When installing the wheel bearings, face the sealed sides (numbered sides) outward. Fill the wheel bearing cavity with bearing grease.
- Drive the new bearings into the brake drum with the bearing installation tool.
- To install, use a new seal and reverse the removal procedures. Torque the hub castle nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm). Bleed the brake system. Operate the brakes 3-5 times to obtain the proper drum-to-shoe clearance. Adjust the parking brake cable.