Inspect the evaporative emission system, including the charcoal canister, for proper operation every 30,000 miles (50,000 km). Replace any worn, plugged or collapsed hoses or damaged seals. Clean or replace the canister as needed.
See Figure 1
- Using a small length of hose connected to the tank tube, blow into the canister. Air should escape the air tube at the bottom of the canister.
- Using the same procedure with the hose connected to the purge tube, no air should pass through the canister valve.
- Apply 20 in. Hg of vacuum to the vacuum signal line tube of the canister valve, while blowing air into the tube. Air should come out of the TB tube.
- Replace the canister if operations differs from above.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Label and disconnect the charcoal canister vent hoses.
- Remove the canister-to-bracket bolt.
- Lift the canister from the bracket.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures.