Replace the fuel filter element every 30,000 miles (50,000 km). Replace more often under dusty conditions. The fuel filter is located in the engine compartment on carbureted and turbocharged models, and at the left side of the fuel tank on fuel injection models.
FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF
See Figure 1
On fuel injected and turbocharged vehicles, it is necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure prior to servicing the fuel filter.
- Place the gearshift selector in NEUTRAL on manual transaxle equipped vehicles or in PARK on automatic transaxle equipped vehicles.
- Remove the fuel pump relay from the main fuse box in the engine compartment.
- Start the engine and allow it to stall.
- Crank the engine 2-3 times for approximately 3 seconds each time to ensure fuel pressure dissipation with fuel lines.
- Remove the fuel filler cap to release fuel vapor pressure in the fuel tank. Reinstall the cap.
- Install the fuel pump relay.
- The fuel system components are now ready to be serviced.
FILTER REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Relieve the fuel system pressure. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- As required, raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Label and disconnect all fuel lines from the fuel filter.
- Remove the bolts from the fuel filter mounting bracket and remove the fuel filter.
- Inspect the fuel lines surrounding the filter and replace as necessary if damaged.
- Install the new fuel filter and tighten the bracket bolts securely.
- Install the fuel lines and tighten the clamps securely.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle. It may take a few seconds to prime the fuel system.
- Check for fuel system leaks and repair as necessary.