REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the lower dash cover and the air duct.
- On Prizm vehicles, remove the upper and lower steering column covers. On Nova vehicles, remove the lower column cover; the upper cover will come off with the switch.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the wiring at the connector.
- Unscrew the mounting screws and remove the switch. The Nova switch will come off with the upper column cover.
- When reinstalling, place the switch in position and tighten the bolts.
- Connect the wiring harness and reinstall the steering wheel.
- Reinstall the column cover(s).
- Install the lower dash trim panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 3
- Disable the SRS as outlined earlier in this Section.
Remove the SRS coil assembly as follows:
- With the SRS disabled, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column trim covers.
- Unclip and set aside the left front carpet retainer.
- Remove the 2 screws and disconnect the hood release lever from the knee bolster.
- Remove the 2 trim caps and unbolt and remove the knee bolster from the instrument panel.
- Untape the SRS coil assembly harness from the combination switch harness.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the SRS coil.
- Remove the 4 screws and remove the SRS coil assembly from the combination switch.
- Disconnect the combination switch electrical connector.
- Remove the 4 screws and remove the combination switch from the steering column.
- Install the 4 screws and the combination switch to the steering column.
- Connect the combination switch electrical connector.
- Turn the spiral cable on the combination switch counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn. Then rotate the cable clockwise about 3 turns to align the alignment mark. The connector should be straight up.
- Install the SRS coil assembly by reversing removal Step 2, above.
- Install the steering wheel (align matchmarks) onto the shaft and torque nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Enable the SRS as outlined earlier in this Section.