REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut holding the tie rod to the steering knuckle.
- Using a tie rod separator, press the tie rod out of the knuckle.
Use only the correct tool to separate the tie rod joint. Replace the joint if the rubber boot is cracked or ripped.
- Matchmark the inner end of the tie rod to the end of the steering rack.
- Loosen the locknut and remove the tie rod from the steering rack.
- Install the tie rod ends onto the rack ends and align the matchmarks made earlier.
- Tighten the locknuts to 35 ft. lbs.
- Connect the tie rod joint to the knuckle. Tighten the nut to 36 ft. lbs. and install a new cotter pin.
- Install the wheel and lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Have the alignment checked at a reputable repair facility. The toe adjustment may have to be reset.