REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump attaching bolt and, if equipped, the pickup tube nut/bolt then remove the pump along with the pickup tube and shaft, as necessary.
- If necessary for the 2.2L engine, remove the extension shaft and retainer (being careful not the crack the retainer) from the pump.
- For the 2.2L engine, if the extension shaft was removed, heat the extension shaft retainer in hot water, then install the shaft and retainer to the oil pump. Make sure the retainer does not crack during installation.
- Ensure that the pump pickup tube is tight in the pump body. If the tube should come loose, oil pressure will be lost and oil starvation will occur. If the pickup tube is loose it should be replaced.
Install the pump aligning the pump shaft with the distributor drive gear as necessary. Tighten the oil pump/pickup tube retainer(s) to specification:
2.2L engine: 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm)
- Install the oil pan and refill the engine crankcase. Start the engine and make sure oil pressure builds immediately or engine damage could occur.