REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 13
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then drain the engine cooling system.
- Relieve the belt tension, then remove the drive belt.
- Remove the upper fan shroud, then remove the fan or fan and clutch assembly, as applicable.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- If applicable, loosen the clamp(s) and disconnect the coolant hose(s) from the water pump.
- Unfasten the retainers, then remove the water pump from the engine. Note the positions of all retainers as some engines will utilize different length fasteners in different locations and/or bolts and studs in different locations.
- Using a putty knife, carefully clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
The water pumps on some of the engines covered by this guide, may have been installed using sealer only, no gasket, at the factory. If a gasket is supplied with the replacement part, it should be used. Otherwise, a1/8in. (.125mm) bead of RTV sealer should be used around the sealing surface of the pump.
- Apply 1052080 or an equivalent sealant to the threads of the water pump retainers. Install the water pump to the engine using a new gasket, then thread the retainers in order to hold it in position.
Tighten the water pump retainers to specification:
- For the 2.2L engines tighten the water pump-to-engine retainers to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- For the 4.3L engine, tighten the bolts and studs to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- If removed, connect the coolant hose(s) and secure using the retaining clamp(s).
- Install the water pump pulley, then install the fan or fan and clutch assembly.
- Position the serpentine belt over the pulleys, then carefully allow the tensioner back into contact with the belt.
- Install the upper fan shroud, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly refill the engine cooling system, then run the engine and check for leaks.