Most vehicles covered by this information utilize a 2-piece shift lever assembly. The upper portion of the shift lever is threaded to the lower portion and locked in position using a jamnut. If equipped, the upper portion may removed without unbolting the rest of the shifter lever/housing from the top of the transmission housing.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 20
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On 4wd pick-up models, remove the transfer case shift lever knob retaining clip, then remove the knob.
- On 4wd utility models, unfasten the transfer case shifter locknut and unscrew the lever.
- If equipped, remove the console assembly or cup holder.
- Remove the shifter knob and nut from the lever.
On some models, to access the shift lever boot retaining screws the carpet will either have to be removed or cut. When we removed the shift lever we choose not to cut the carpet, instead we took the time to remove the seats and various trim pieces until the carpet could be pulled over the shifter assembly, then we removed the shift lever boot screws. If you choose to cut the carpet, we suggest that you cut the carpet in small amounts at all four sides of the shifter so that the carpet can be peeled back just enough to access the screws. Once the job is complete, the carpet can be held in place using Velcro.
- Unfasten the boot retaining screws and remove the boot from the lever.
- Unfasten the shift lever nut by turning it clockwise, then remove the lever by unscrewing it counterclockwise.
- Install the lever and tighten the shift lever nut up against the lever.
- Install the shifter nut and knob. Back the knob off until the shift pattern is aligned.
- If removed, install the carpet. If you decided to cut the carpet, use Velcro to hold it in place.
- If removed, install the console or cup holder assembly.
- On 4wd utility models, install the transfer case lever and tighten the shifter locknut.
- On 4wd pick-up models, connect the transfer case shift control cable to the knob and install the retaining clip.