REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
The parking brake equalizer threads will often rust in service making adjustment or removal difficult. If necessary, spray a penetrating lubricant on the nut and equalizer threads, then allow time for the lubricant to work.
- Loosen the nut on the cable equalizer assembly.
- Separate the front cable from the equalizer.
- If applicable, remove the front-cable retaining bolts and clips.
- Bend or squeeze the frame retainer fingers and release the cable from the frame.
On some models, it may be necessary to remove the dash trim panels to gain access to the brake pedal.
- If necessary for access, remove the lower trim panel from the left side of the dash.
- Release the cowl retainer and grommet, then disconnect the front cable from the parking pedal assembly.
- Attach a length of wire to the cable, then carefully pull it through the cowl leaving the wire in place for installation purposes. Remove the cable from the vehicle.
- Use the wire left in the cowl opening to pull the cable into position.
- Seat the retainer and grommet to the cowl, making sure the retaining fingers are completely through the hole.
- Attach the cable to the lever, then if removed for access, install the lower trim panel.
- Install the cable retainer to the frame, then if applicable, secure any retaining clips.
- Connect the cable to the equalizer, then properly adjust the parking brake. For details, please refer to the procedure located later in this section.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.