REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedure requires the use of two sets of jackstands.
- Raise and support the rear frame of the vehicle safely using jackstands. Support the rear axle with the second set of jackstands.
When supporting the rear of the vehicle, support the axle and the body separately in order to relieve the load on the rear spring.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts, washers, anchor plate and bolts.
- Remove the spare tire, if equipped.
- If necessary, unfasten the rear exhaust hangers and lower the rear exhaust.
- Remove the shackle-to-frame bolt, washers and nut.
- Remove the fuel tank, if necessary. For details, please refer to Fuel System of this repair guide.
- Remove the front bracket nut, washers and bolt.
- Carefully remove the spring from the vehicle.
- If necessary, unfasten the shackle-to-spring nut, washers and bolts, then remove the shackle from the spring.
- If removed, install the shackle to the rearward spring eye using the bolt, washers and nut, but do not fully tighten at this time.
- Position the spring assembly to the vehicle.
- Install the spring to the front bracket using the retaining bolt, washers and nut, but do not fully tighten at this time.
- If removed, install the fuel tank.
- Install the shackle-to-frame bolt, washers and nut, but do not fully tighten at this time. If used, remove the spring support.
- Install the U-bolts, anchor plate, washers and U-bolt nuts. Tighten the U-bolt nuts using 2 passes of a diagonal sequence. On 1994 models, first tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm), then tighten them to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) in the sequence illustrated. On 1995-99 models, first tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm), then tighten them to 73 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) in the sequence illustrated.
- Position the axle to achieve an approximate gap of 6.46-6.94 in. (164-176mm) between the axle housing tube and the metal surface of the rubber frame bumper bracket. Measure from the housing between the U-bolts to the metal part of the rubber bump stop on the frame.
- While supporting the axle in this position, tighten the front and rear spring mounting fasteners to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm) on 1994-95 models and 89 ft. lbs. (122 Nm) on 1996-99 models.
- If removed, place the rear exhaust in position and tighten the hangers.
- Install the spare tire.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.