REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except Models Equipped With The HVS System
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Tag and remove the spark plug wires.
- Loosen the cap retaining fasteners and remove the cap.
- Remove the rotor from the distributor shaft.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
See Figure 4
It is advisable to discard the old distributor cap screws when you remove the distributor cap and replace them wit new screws when re-installing the cap.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the distributor.
- Unfasten the distributor cap retaining screws and remove the cap.
Mark the rotor mounting hole locations before unfastening the screws and removing the rotor. If the rotor is installed in the wrong mounting holes a no start condition may occur.
- Using a grease pencil, mark the location of the rotor mounting holes.
- Unfasten the rotor retaining screws and remove the rotor.
- Install the rotor making sure to align the rotor screw holes with the marks made earlier to indicate the location of the mounting.
- Once the rotor is in position, tighten the rotor retaining screws.
- Place the distributor cap into position and tighten its retaining screws.
- Attach the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
- Start the engine and check for proper operation.
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor as described in this section.
- Check the cap for wear, electrode cracks or damage. Replace if defective.
- Check the rotor for cracks and wear. Replace if defective.