The oil pressure sender relays to the dash gauge the oil pressure in the engine. The sensor is usually located on the top left side of the engine on the 2.2L engine and on the top left side near the distributor/high voltage switch on the 4.3L engine.Testing
- Unplug the sender electrical connection.
- Connect one lead of a ohmmeter to the sender terminal and the other lead to the sender body.
- With the engine off the resistance should be approximately 1 ohm.
- Start the engine. The resistance should increase as the engine speed increases.
- If not, replace the sender.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the engine oil.
- Disconnect the sensor electrical lead and unscrew the sensor.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Coat the first two or three threads with sealer. Install the sensor and tighten until snug. Attach the electrical lead.
- Connect the battery cable and fill the engine with oil.