The recirculating ball type manual steering gear found on most of vehicles covered by this information is manufactured by Saginaw and is equipped with a mechanical ratio of 24:1.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle using jackstands under the frame. Turn the wheels so they are facing in the straight ahead position.
- If equipped, remove the retainers and the shield from the base of the intermediate shaft.
- Matchmark the intermediate shaft-to-steering gear connection in order to assure proper installation.
- Remove the intermediate shaft-to-steering gear pinch bolt.
- Matchmark and remove the pitman arm from the pitman shaft. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section. It may be easier to save this step for later as access to the pitman arm/shaft may be difficult unless the gear is loosened or removed.
When separating the pitman arm from the shaft, DO NOT use a hammer or apply heat to the arm.
- Unfasten the steering gear-to-frame mounting bolts and washers, then remove the gear from the vehicle.
- If not done already and, if necessary, remove the pitman shaft from the gear at this time.
- If necessary, align and install the pitman shaft to the gear.
- Position the steering gear to the frame and secure by threading the retaining bolts. On some late model vehicles, if not done already, it will be necessary to align and install the pitman arm to the shaft at this time.
- Install the gear retaining bolts and tighten to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
When installing the steering gear, be sure that the intermediate shaft bottoms on the worm shaft, so that the pinch bolt passes through the undercut on the worm shaft. Check and/or adjust the alignment of the pitman arm-to-pitman shaft.
- Align and install the intermediate shaft coupling using the pinch bolt. Tighten the bolt to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- If not done already, align and install the pitman arm to the shaft. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section for details.
- If applicable, install the coupling shield over the intermediate shaft-to-gear coupling.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.