See Figure 1
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Unplug the electrical connectors from the idle air control valve, the throttle position sensor and the fuel injector(s). When unplugging the injector connectors, squeeze the plastic tabs and pull straight upward.
- If applicable, remove the grommet with wires from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the throttle return spring(s) and linkage (including cruise control and/or throttle valve (as equipped).
- Tag and disconnect the vacuum hoses from the throttle body.
ALWAYS use a backup wrench on the TBI fuel line inlet nuts when disconnecting the fuel lines.
- Place a rag (to catch the excess fuel) under the fuel line-to-throttle body connection, then disconnect the fuel lines from the throttle body. Remove and discard the old O-rings from the lines.
- Unfasten the TBI unit-to-manifold attaching hardware, then remove the throttle body and discard the old gasket.
Be sure to place a cloth or plastic cover over the intake manifold opening to prevent dirt from entering the engine.To install:
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces taking great care to prevent debris from entering the engine and to make sure the surfaces are not scored or damaged.
- Position the throttle body to the intake manifold using a new gasket, then thread the retainers and tighten to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
ALWAYS use a backup wrench on the TBI fuel line inlet nuts when connecting the fuel lines.
- Using new O-rings, connect and tighten the fuel line fittings to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Connect the vacuum hoses to the throttle body, as tagged during removal.
- Attach the throttle return spring(s) and linkage (including cruise control and/or throttle valve (as equipped).
- If applicable, install the grommet with wires to the throttle body.
- Attach the electrical connectors to the idle air control valve, the throttle position sensor and the fuel injector(s).
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Depress the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it, to see if the pedal returns freely. Turn the ignition switch ON and check for fuel leaks.