REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On all early model vehicles and some late model vehicles covered by this manual that are equipped with a two-piece rear driveshaft assembly, the center support bearing may be removed for replacement. To be sure if your late model driveshaft may be serviced, check with your local parts supplier or dealer for parts availability information.
- Matchmark and remove the rear driveshaft assembly. For details, please refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Remove the strap retaining the rubber cushion from the bearing support.
- Pull the support bracket from the rubber cushion and the cushion from the bearing.
- Press the bearing assembly from half-shaft.
Assemble the center support bearing to the driveshaft:
- If removed, install the inner deflector onto the front shaft half and prick punch the deflector at 2 opposite points to make sure it is tight on the shaft.
- Fill the space between the inner dust shield and bearing with lithium soap grease.
- Start the bearing and slinger assembly straight onto the shaft journal. Support the shaft and using a length of pipe over the splined end of the shaft, press the bearing and inner slinger against the shoulder of the front shaft half.
- Install the bearing retainer (rubber cushion onto bearing, bracket onto cushion and retaining strap).
- Align and install the driveshaft assembly to the vehicle.