On most gasoline engines covered by this manual it is possible to replace the timing cover front oil seal without removing the cover from the vehicle. For the 2.2L diesel engine the front seal is mounted to the timing pulley housing located under the timing belt assembly. The timing belt must be removed for seal replacement.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
If the timing front cover is to be removed from the engine for service, refer to the procedures earlier in this section regarding cover and seal replacement. If the timing cover does not need to be removed, replace the front seal as follows:
- Remove the crankshaft damper and pulley. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Pry the seal out of the front cover using a small prytool. Be very careful not to distort the front cover or to score the end of the crankshaft.
- Lightly coat the lips of the replacement crankshaft seal with clean engine oil, then position the seal with the open end facing inward the engine. Use a suitable seal installation driver to position the seal in the front cover.
- Install the crankshaft damper and pulley.
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
Unlike the gasoline engines covered by this manual, the 2.2L diesel engine is equipped with a timing belt not a chain or gear assembly. The belt remains dry, therefore the crankshaft oil seal is not mounted in the timing housing covers, but in the timing pulley housing mounted beneath the cover and the timing pulley assembly. A camshaft pulley and seal assembly is also mounted beneath the cover. The following procedure covers removal and installation of the timing housing and seal replacement.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then drain the engine cooling system.
- Remove the radiator hoses, then remove the radiator.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley. Please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section for details.
- Remove the timing housing covers. Please refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Remove the timing belt. Please refer to the procedure later in this section.
- If housing removal is necessary, install a 6mm bolt into the threaded hole in the timing pulley housing and through the hole in the injection pump pulley to prevent the pulley from turning. Remove the nut attaching the injection pump pulley, then use J-22888-D or an equivalent puller to remove the pulley.
- If housing or camshaft seal removal is necessary, remove the bolt attaching the camshaft pulley, then remove the pulley and center assembly using the puller. If only camshaft seal replacement is necessary, remove the old seal and skip to the appropriate point in the installation procedure. Remove the fasteners and remove the camshaft oil seal retainer.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, then use the puller to remove the pulley and center. If only crankshaft seal replacement is necessary, remove the old seal at this time and skip to the appropriate point in the installation procedure.
If housing removal is necessary:
- Disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid and vacuum hose.
- Remove the injection lines.
- Disconnect the fuel feed and return lines.
- Disconnect the throttle return spring.
- Remove the bolts attaching the injection pump bracket to the pump.
- Remove the housing bolts, then remove the housing and injection pump as an assembly.
- If the housing is removed, it is recommended that both the crankshaft and camshaft seals be replaced.
If the housing was removed:
- Carefully clean the surface of the case and timing pulley housing.
- Position a new gasket, then install the housing and injection pump assembly. Tighten the retaining bolts to 10-17 ft. lbs. (14-23 Nm).
- Install a new crankshaft front seal using J-24250, or an equivalent seal installer.
- Install a new camshaft front seal using J-24254 or an equivalent installation tool.
- Install the camshaft oil seal retainer.
- Connect the injection pump mounting bracket bolts.
- Attach the injection lines.
- Connect the necessary wires and hoses.
- If only the crankshaft seal was removed, install a new seal at this time using J-24250 or an equivalent seal installer.
- Install the crankshaft timing pulley and center pulley using a suitable installation tool, then install and tighten the retaining bolt to 124-151 ft. lbs. (168-204 Nm).
- If only the camshaft seal was removed, install a new seal at this time using J-24254 or an equivalent seal installer, then install the oil seal retainer.
- Install the camshaft timing pulley and cam center, then tighten the retaining bolt to 72-87 ft. lbs. (97-118 Nm).
- If removed, install the injection pump pulley, install the locking bolt, then tighten the pulley attaching nut to 42-52 ft. lbs. (57-70 Nm). Remove the locking bolt after the nut is properly tightened.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the timing pulley housing covers.
- Install the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the radiator, then connect the radiator hoses.
- Connect the negative battery cable and properly refill the engine cooling system.