REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Lower and support the tailgate on a table, pair of saw-horses or an equivalent support. In fact, a willing friend will do here as well, and is usually better company than a table.
- Remove the left and right-side tailgate-to-fender striker bolts.
On most early model (and some late model) vehicles the striker does not have to be removed, the support link may be slotted for removal from the striker assembly. If so, the support link must usually be bent at the joint in the opposite way from normal extension/installation (normal motion when the tailgate is lowered or raised). In other words, pull up on the middle of the link while partially raising the tailgate. The larger portion of the retaining slot may then be slid over the head of the pivot and removed.
- Remove the left and right-side tailgate side hinge bolts, then remove the tailgate from the truck.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Torque the tailgate hinge bolts and the striker-to-fender bolts (as applicable) to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Check for proper tailgate operation.
Align the tailgate so the gaps between all of the components are equal; it must be flush with the fenders. Center the tailgate in the opening between the fenders by adjusting the hinges and/or the striker bolts.