REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The following procedure requires the use of the Shift Cable Housing Seal Installer tool No. J-33799 or equivalent.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the shift cable from the vacuum actuator by disengaging the locking spring. Then push the actuator diaphragm in to release the cable.
- Unlock the steering wheel at steering column so the linkage is free to move.
- Raise and support the front of the truck safely using jackstands.
- Remove the front wheel assemblies and remove the engine drive belt shield.
- If equipped, remove the front axle skid plate.
- Place a support under right-side lower control arm and disconnect right-side upper ball joint, then remove the support so the control arm will hang free.
To keep the axle from turning, insert a drift through the opening in the top of the brake caliper, into the corresponding vane of the brake rotor.
- Matchmark the right-side drive axle to the output shaft. Remove the right-side drive axle shaft-to-tube assembly bolts and separate the drive axle from the tube assembly, then remove the drift from the brake caliper and rotor.
- Disengage the 4wd indicator lamp electrical connector from the switch.
- Remove the three bolts securing the cable and switch housing-to-carrier and pull the housing away to gain access to the cable locking spring. DO NOT unscrew the cable coupling nut unless the cable is being replaced.
- Disconnect the cable from the shift fork shaft by lifting spring over slot in shift fork.
- Remove the 2 bolts securing the tube bracket to the frame.
- Remove the remaining 2 upper bolts securing the tube assembly to the carrier. The other 3 were removed with the shift cable housing.
- Remove the tube assembly by working around the drive axle. Be careful not to allow the sleeve, thrust washers, connector and output shaft to fall out of carrier or be damaged when removing the tube.
- Apply a bead of sealant on the tube-to-carrier mating surface.
- Make sure the sleeve, thrust washers, connector and output shaft are in position in the carrier. Apply grease to the thrust washer to hold it in place during assembly, then position the washer to the tube.
- Install the tube and shaft assembly-to-carrier, then thread and finger-tighten a bolt at one o'clock position but DO NOT torque. Pull the assembly down, then install the cable/switch housing and the remaining bolts. Torque the bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install the tube-to-frame nuts/bolts and torque to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Using the hub engagement tool No. J-33798 or equivalent, check the operation of the 4wd mechanism. Insert tool into the shift fork and check for the rotation of the axle shaft.
- Remove the engagement tool, then install the shift cable switch housing by pushing the cable through into fork shaft hole. The cable will automatically snap into place. Please refer to shift cable replacement, later in this section for details.
- Engage the 4wd indicator light wiring connector to the switch.
- Install the support under the right-side lower control arm to raise arm and connect upper ball joint. For details, please refer to Chapter 8 of this manual.
- Align and install right-side drive axle to the axle tube output shaft by installing one bolt first, then, rotate the axle to install and finger-tighten the remaining bolts. Torque the bolts to 60 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
To hold the axle from turning, insert a drift through the opening in the top of the brake caliper into the corresponding vane of the brake rotor. If the caliper was removed, either temporarily install it or use a prybar across 2 installed lug nuts.
- If equipped, install the front axle skid plate.
- Install the drive belt shield, then install the front wheel assemblies.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the shift cable-to-vacuum actuator by pushing the cable end into the vacuum actuator shaft hole. The cable will snap into place, automatically. For details, please refer to shift cable replacement, late in this section.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the right drive axle (halfshaft) from the vehicle. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Remove the support bracket-to-frame nuts and washers.
- Remove the tube-to-carrier retaining bolts.
Before removing the shaft and tube assembly, position a drain pan to catch any escaping fluid.
- Attach a slide hammer to the output shaft and pull the shaft free, then remove the shaft and tube assembly from the vehicle.
- Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the carrier and tube.
- Apply a bead of sealer such as Loctite®514 or equivalent to the carrier sealing surface.
- Install the shaft and tube assembly to the carrier.
- Install the tube-to-carrier bolts, then tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Install the support bracket nuts and washers, then tighten to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install the right drive axle to the output shaft. For details, please refer to the procedure earlier in this section.