REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disengage the shift cable from the vacuum actuator by disengaging the locking spring (bend the tang on the spring as shown in the illustration), then, push the actuator diaphragm in to release the cable. Using a pair of pliers, squeeze the two cable locking fingers, then pull the cable out of the bracket hole.
- Raise and safely support the front of the truck safely using jackstands.
- Remove cable housing-to-carrier bolts and pull housing away to gain access to the cable locking spring.
DO NOT unscrew the coupling nut at this time.
- Disconnect the cable from the shift fork shaft by lifting the spring over shift fork slot.
- Unscrew the cable from the housing by unscrewing the coupling nut.
- Remove the cable from the truck.
- Install the cable housing-to-carrier bolts. Torque the bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Guide the cable through the housing into the fork shaft hole and push the cable inward; the cable will automatically snap into place. Start turning the coupling nut by hand, to avoid cross threading, then torque the nut to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm). DO NOT overtorque the nut as this will cause thread damage to the housing.
- Carefully route the cable, then remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
- Connect the shift cable-to-vacuum actuator by pressing the cable into the bracket hole. The cable and housing will snap into place, automatically.
- Check the cable operation.