The evaporator is a device which cools and dehumidifies the air before it enters the vehicles. High pressure liquid refrigerant flows through the orifice tube into the low pressure area of the evaporator. The heat in the air passing through the evaporator core is lost to the cooler surface of the core, thereby cooling the air. As the process of heat loss from the air to the evaporator core surface is taking place, any moisture (humidity) in the air condenses on the outside surface of the evaporator core and is drained off as water. The core is located inside as blower motor/evaporator core case assembly which is mounted to the passenger side of the cowl.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Either discharge and recover the refrigerant using a suitable recovery station or have the system discharged by a professional shop.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For 1992-93 vehicles, drain the engine cooling system to a level below the heater core, then disconnect the heater hoses from the core tubes.
- For MFI-Turbo engines, remove the charge air cooler for access to the evaporator and blower assembly. For details, please refer to Chapter 3 of this manual.
- Remove the blower resistor with the wires attached.
- Disengage the necessary electrical connectors from the blower motor and case components.
- Remove the inlet line/evaporator tube from the A/C evaporator. Immediately plug all openings to prevent system contamination.
- If necessary, remove the compressor hose assembly from the accumulator. Immediately plug all openings to prevent system contamination.
- Remove the blower/evaporator case mounting nuts/screws, then remove the blower motor/evaporator case assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the accumulator inlet line from the evaporator and the accumulator. Immediately plug all openings to prevent system contamination.
- Remove the blower motor case-to-evaporator case screws and separate the cases, then remove the evaporator core.
- Install the evaporator core to the case, then join and secure the case assembly.
- Remove the plugs, then install the accumulator inlet line to the evaporator and the accumulator.
- Install the blower motor/evaporator case assembly to the vehicle and secure using the mounting nuts/screws. Tighten the fasteners until snug, but do not overtighten and crack the cases.
- If removed, install the compressor hose assembly to the accumulator.
- Remove the plugs, then install the inlet line/evaporator tube to the A/C evaporator.
- Engage the necessary electrical connectors to the blower motor and case components.
- Install the blower resistor with the wires attached.
- For MFI-Turbo engines, install the charge air cooler.
- For 1992-93 vehicles, connect the heater hoses to the core tubes.
- Connect the negative battery cable. For 1992-93 vehicles, properly refill the engine cooling system.
- Either recharge the A/C refrigerant system or have the system recharged by a reputable shop.