Only the 207 and 231 model transfer cases are equipped with a shift lever. In order to adjust the lever/linkage assembly, then floor console must be removed for access. The original floor shift mechanism was used on vehicles covered by this manual.
See Figure 1
- Remove the center console for access to the shift lever retainers.
- Raise the floor shift lever boot upward on the lever.
- Loosen the detent switch bracket retaining bolt and the floor shift lever pivot bolt (also threaded through the detent switch bracket).
- Manually place the transfer case lever in the 4 High position ( refer to the illustration).
- Install a suitable lock bolt to hold the transfer case lever in position. (refer to the illustration).
- Insert a 5 / 16 in. (8mm) drill bit (gauge pin) through the hole in the shift lever and into the upper corner of the switch bracket. This will assure that the switch is aligned with 4 High position.
- Tighten the floor shift lever pivot bolt to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm) and the detent switch bracket retaining bolt to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Remove the lock bolt and the gauge pin/drill bit.
- Verify proper shifting action.
- Reposition the floor shift lever boot and install the center console.