See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support vehicle safely.
- Mark relationship of wheel to axle flange. Remove wheel nuts, wheel assembly and brake drum.
- Using a drum-to-shoe clearance gauge (J-22364-01), or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of brake drum.
- Using a drum-to-shoe clearance gauge (J-22364-01), or equivalent, measure outside diameter of the brake shoes.
- Turn the adjuster until the outside diameter of the brake shoes is 0.024 in. (0.6mm) less than the inside diameter of the brake drum.
- Install brake drum and wheel assembly. Lower the vehicle.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Check the brake fluid and add as required.
- Pump brake pedal to seat brake shoes before moving vehicle.
See Figure 3
- Measure brake pedal height after engine is started and engine speed increased several times. Ensure pedal is fully returned by the pedal return spring.
- Stop engine operation. Measure distance from floor panel to top of brake pedal (see illustration). The correct brake pedal height specification should be 6.07 in. (154mm) for Spectrum. The correct brake pedal height specification should be 6.22 in. (158mm) for Storm.
If the measurement is not correct, adjust brake pedal height as follows:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect brake light (stop light) switch connector.
- Loosen brake light switch locknut and back switch away from brake pedal.
- Loosen locknut on brake pedal pushrod and adjust brake pedal to the specified height.
- Tighten locknut to 18 ft. lbs.
- Adjust brake light switch - refer to the necessary service procedures.