REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then unplug the oxygen sensor wiring connector.
- Disconnect the Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) flex hose, then remove the suction pipe and clips.
- Remove the hot air cover, then raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, then remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
- Remove the nuts and bolts securing the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Thoroughly clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- To install, use new gaskets and reverse the removal procedures. Torque the exhaust manifold to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm), the exhaust pipe bolts to 42 ft. lbs. (56 Nm) and, if applicable, the suction pipe to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Remove the heat protector, then disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical connector.
- If equipped with the 1.6L twincam engine, disconnect the EGR pipe clip from the thermostat housing.
- Disconnect the EGR pipe from the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve. For the 1.8L engine, remove the bolt from the EGR pipe bracket.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
For the 1.8L engine, it is necessary to raise and support the vehicle, then remove the right splash shield and forward exhaust pipe bracket, in order to disconnect the pipe from the manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold attaching nuts and bolts, then remove the exhaust manifold from the engine.
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces. Using a straight edge and feeler gauge, inspect the exhaust manifold for damage and/or warpage; maximum allowable warpage is 0.0157 in. (0.4mm), if the warpage is greater, replace the exhaust manifold.
- Reverse procedure to install. Tighten the exhaust manifold retainers to 30 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) on all engines, except the 1.8L engine which should be tightened to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Tighten the 1.8L engine exhaust pipe nuts to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm) and the EGR pipe nut/bolt to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Except for the 1.8L engine, tighten the EGR pipe bolts to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).