REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the transaxle. Refer to the procedure in Drive Train of this repair guide.
- For the Spectrum, disconnect the exhaust pipe bracket.
- For the Storm 1.6L engines, remove the right and left undercovers.
- Remove the pressure plate and clutch on manual transaxle or the torque converter on automatic transaxle, the flywheel bolts and the flywheel from the crankshaft.
- Drain the crankcase and remove the oil pan from the engine block.
- Remove the rear oil seal retainer from the engine block, then remove the oil seal from the retainer. Clean the sealing surfaces.
- Using J-35264, or an equivalent seal installation tool, drive then new oil seal into the retainer.
- Apply sealant to the retainer mating surface and clean engine oil to the seal lips, then align the dowel pins of the retainer with the engine block and install the retainer to the rear of the engine.
- Secure the retainer with the bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs (10 Nm).
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the flywheel and clutch or torque converter assemblies.
- Install the left and right undercovers or the exhaust pipe bracket, as applicable.
- Install the transaxle assembly.
- Lower the vehicle and immediately fill the crankcase with clean engine oil.