REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve cover from the cylinder head.
- Remove the rocker arm bracket bolts in sequence, working from both ends equally, toward the middle. Refer to Fig 36.
- Remove the rocker arm shafts and then the rocker arms from the shafts. Be sure to label or arrange all parts in groups so that they may be reinstalled in their original positions.
- Apply a light coat of clean engine oil to the rocker arms/shafts and assemble them for installation.
The intake and exhaust rocker arm shafts are different from each other, make sure they are installed in the same position that they were removed. Install the rocker arms with the identification marks toward the front of the engine.
- Install the rocker arm and shaft assemblies to the cylinder head, making sure the identification marks are facing the front of the engine.
- Remove oil from the surfaces of the No. 1 and No. 5 (front and rear rocker) brackets, then apply sealant to the bracket and cylinder head mating surfaces of the brackets.
- Make sure the rocker shaft assemblies are securely mounted on the head dowel pins, then tighten the retaining bolts in the reverse sequence of removal to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the valve cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.