REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
To prevent door glass from breaking, lower glass prior to removal or alignment of door.
- If door is equipped with power accessories or front door speakers, the inside door panel must be removed to disconnect the wiring harness.
- Fully open and balance door on a floor jack (an assistant may be needed). Use a bundled rag or a block of wood to protect the painted surface of the door edge.
- Remove the door checker pin with a hammer. Place a block of wood under the checker to prevent bending it while removing the pin.
- Remove the door-side hinge mounting bolts
- Slowly pull the door away from the hinges.
- Clean and lubricate the hinges, hinge bolt holes and door checker assembly with grease.
- Balance door on floor jack and align the door with the hinges.
- Install door-side hinge bolts and tighten with moderate torque. DO NOT tighten down all the way.
- Remove floor jack and close door slowly to check alignment. DO NOT slam door closed. In most cases door adjustment will be necessary.
- Open door, loosen hinge bolts and adjust door so that all clearances are even. Hold clearance as far as possible.
It may be necessary to loosen door-side and/or body-side hinge bolts to correctly adjust door. Body shims may be necessary to adjust door or striker with the body.
- After alignment is satisfactory, tighten door-side hinge bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs.
- Adjust door striker by loosening mounting screws and tapping with a plastic hammer. The striker should be parallel with the dovetail on the door latch mechanism. One or two shims are needed to control correct engagement of striker with door latch. Torque striker screws to 10 ft. lbs.