REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disassemble hatch inner panel to gain access to wiring harness. Disconnect and remove tailgate harness.
- If equipped, remove the bolt, nut and washer that attach the tailgate checker to the frame.
- Disconnect the hatch struts (if equipped).
- With an assistant supporting the hatchback, remove the hatch hinge bolts. Remove the hatchback/trunk lid.
- Clean and lubricate the hinges, hinge bolt holes and checker assembly with grease.
- Align the hatchback and install the hinge bolts.
- Tighten hinge bolts with moderate torque. DO NOT tighten down all the way.
- Close hatchback slowly to check alignment. DO NOT slam closed. In most cases adjustment will be necessary.
- Open hatchback, loosen hinge bolts and adjust so that all clearances are even and panel is flush with body. Hold clearance as far as possible.
It may be necessary to loosen hatchback and/or body-side hinge bolts to correctly adjust hatchback. Body shims may be necessary to adjust hatchback or striker with body.
- After alignment is satisfactory, tighten hinge bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs.
- Adjust striker by loosening mounting screws and tapping with a plastic hammer. The striker should be parallel with the dovetail on the latch mechanism. One or two shims are needed to control correct engagement of striker with the latch. Torque striker screws to 10 ft. lbs.