For all Spectrum vehicles, the manual transaxle should be filled using SAE 5W-30 SF/CC or SF/CD engine oil. For the Storm, sycnchromesh transmission fluid GM No. 12345348 or equivalent should be used to fill the manual transaxle.
See Figures 1 and 2
- The manual transaxle fluid should be checked when the transaxle is cool enough so that your fingers may comfortably rest on the transaxle housing.
- If necessary, move the car to a level spot and allow the powertrain to cool.
- For the Spectrum, loosen the fastener and remove the speedometer driven gear bushing. Make sure the lubricant is between the L and H markings.
- For the Storm, remove the filler plug located in the side of the transaxle case and check that lubricant is even with the bottom of the filler plug hole.
- If necessary, add sufficient lubricant to bring the fluid level either up to the L mark or even with the bottom of the filler plug hole, as applicable.
DRAIN AND REFILL
For fluid replacement and other transaxle service procedures, refer to Drive Train of this repair guide.