REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- From in the engine compartment, remove the nuts attaching the strut to the strut mount.
- Loosen the wheel nuts. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Support the vehicle so that the weight of the vehicle rests on the support and not the control arms.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake hose clip at the strut bracket.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the brake caliper. Cap the brake line and caliper openings to prevent system contamination.
- Pull the brake hose through the opening in the strut bracket.
- Remove the nuts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle. Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the strut onto the vehicle. Install the upper strut mounting nuts.
Install the strut to steering knuckle retainers. Tighten all fasteners to specifications:
- On Spectrum, torque the strut-to-steering knuckle retainers to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm), and the upper strut mounting nuts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- On Storm, torque the upper strut retaining nuts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm). Torque the steering knuckle to strut assembly bolts to 116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm).
- Install the brake hose through the strut bracket and onto the caliper. Install a new washer on the brake hose, if equipped, before installation.
- Secure brake hose to strut bracket using clip.
- Fill the master cylinder to the proper level with clean brake fluid. Bleed the brake system. Refer to Brakes for details.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Inspect the front end alignment and adjust as required.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut assembly into a holding fixture. Loosen, but do not remove the upper strut nut.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vice and compress the coil spring using Strut Spring Compressor J 34013 (J 34013-B for the Storm) or equivalent. Remove the strut nut.
- Gradually release the tension on the spring compressor.
- Remove the coil spring seat, upper insulator, jounce bumper, lower insulator and the coil spring from the strut.
- Install the strut into the spring compressor with the strut assembly-to-steering knuckle bolt holes facing outward.
- Install the lower insulator and the jounce bumper to the strut. Install the coil spring onto the strut, making sure the paint marks on the spring are towards the lower insulator.
- Install the upper insulator and the coil spring seat, with the IN stamping facing outward.
- Carefully compress the coil spring with the spring compressor.
- Install the strut support assembly and the strut nut. Tighten the strut nut to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm). Install the nut cover.
- Slowly loosen the coil spring compressor. Remove the strut assembly from the compressor.
- Install the strut into the vehicle. Inspect the front wheel alignment.