REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Install engine support tool J-28467-A or equivalent, onto the engine.
- Raise the vehicle, then position suitable support under the suspension supports. Lower the vehicle onto the supports, not the control arms.
- Remove both front tire and wheel assemblies.
- Disconnect the front exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Disconnect the power steering lines from the rack and pinion gear, as required.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the boot from the steering shaft. Remove the steering shaft pinch bolt.
- Separate the ball joint and tie rod end at both steering knuckles.
- Support the engine to prevent it from rotating. Remove the engine torque rod from the center beam. Remove the engine rear mount.
- Safely support the crossmember assembly using a jack. Remove the 2 bolts from the center beam and 4 bolts from the crossmember. Lower the center beam and crossmember assembly with the rack and pinion gear and stabilizer bar attached.
- Remove the rack and pinion assembly from the crossmember. Remove the stabilizer bar from the crossmember.
- Install the stabilizer bar and rack and pinion assembly to the crossmember. Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-crossmember bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm), and the rack and pinion-to-crossmember nuts to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Install the center beam and crossmember assembly into the vehicle, guiding the steering shaft coupling over the pinion shaft on the steering gear.
- Install the 2 bolts at the center beam and the 4 bolts at the crossmember. Tighten the crossmember-to-body bolts to 137 ft. lbs. (186 Nm).
- Install the rear engine mount.
- Install the engine torque rod at the center beam. Install the stabilizer bar to the control arm. Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-control arm bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Install the tie rods and ball joint to the steering knuckle and secure in place. Torque ball joint pinch bolt to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm), and the tie rod-to-knuckle nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- From inside the vehicle, install the steering shaft retainer bolt and boot.
- Install the front exhaust pipe, using a new gasket as required. Install the tire and wheels.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the engine support tool.