REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies, then the brake line, retaining clip and flexible hose from the center of the rear axle.
- Remove the tension spring from the rear axle, disconnect the parking brake cable from the turn buckle and the cable joint.
- Using a suitable jack, support the lower side of the rear axle and remove the lower shock absorber bolt, then the shock absorber from the vehicle.
- Carefully lower the jack and remove the coil spring.
- Remove the bolts attaching the rear axle to the body, then the rear axle assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the rear axle assembly to the lower part of the body and partially tighten the bolts.
- Install the coil spring to the raised portion on the top of the axle and raise the axle. Make sure to install the spring end, on the lower end of the coil spring, towards the front of the vehicle.
- Set the height of the rear axle with the jack. Install a new lower shock absorber bolt and tighten it to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Jack up the lower part of the rear axle until the rear axle is 15.2 in. (386 mm) below the top of the wheel arch. Tighten the rear axle bolts to 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
- Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake cable joint at the left side of the rear axle. For cable adjustment, see Brakes .
- Connect the parking brake cable to the turn buckle at the center of the rear axle and attach the tension spring to the rear axle.
- Connect the flexible hose to the bracket at the top of the rear axle and secure it with the retaining clip. Connect the brake line to the flexible hose and tighten it. Bleed the brake system, **see Section** 9.
- Attach the wheel and tire assemblies and tighten the lug nuts.
- Safely lower the vehicle.