The fuel filter is located under the power brake booster for the Spectrum or under the brake booster, near the strut tower for the Storm.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Relieve the pressure in the fuel system; remove the fuel filler cap.
- Note the routing of inlet and outlet lines and the direction of flow as marked by the arrow on the filter. With a pair of pliers, shift the clips on the inlet and outlet hoses back and well away from the connections on the filter.
- Disconnect the fuel lines, using a slight twisting motion to break them loose. Pull the filter out of its retaining clip. Plug the lines immediately to prevent excessive fuel spillage or system contamination.
- Install the filter in the holder. When reconnecting the fuel lines, make sure the hoses are connected to the correct ports on the filter. The arrow on the filter indicates direction of flow and points towards the carburetor.
- Install the hose clips to the inside of the bulged sections of the fuel filter connections, and not right at the ends of the fuel lines. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Install the fuel filler cap.
See Figure 3
- Relieve the pressure in the fuel system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Except for 1993 vehicles, remove the air intake duct.
- Disconnect the fuel filter outlet pipe from the fuel filter upper fitting. Be sure to cap the ends of the fuel pipe fittings to prevent both the entry of dirt and the spillage of fuel.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support safely.
- Disconnect the fuel filter inlet pipe from the fuel filter lower fitting. Be sure to cap the ends of the fuel pipe fittings to prevent both the entry of dirt and the spillage of fuel.
- For 1993 vehicles, remove the 2 bracket mounting bolts, then remove the filter and bracket assembly from the vehicle.
- Loosen the fuel filter bracket clamp bolt, then remove the filter from the bracket.
- For 1993 vehicles, position the fuel filter into the bracket, then install the bracket clamp bolt and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Position the filter and bracket assembly (1993 vehicles) or the filter (1990-1992 vehicles) into the vehicle, with the flow line pointing upward toward the fuel outlet pipe. Install the retaining bolt(s) and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Remove the cap from the fuel inlet line, then connect the line to the lower filter fitting. Tighten the fitting nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Remove the cap from the fuel outlet line, then connect the line to the upper filter fitting. Tighten the fitting nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- If removed, install the air intake duct.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then cycle the ignition switch ON and OFF to build system pressure. Check the fittings for leaks.