In most cases,the PCV valve is located in a grommet attached to the top of the rocker or camshaft cover. On carbureted vehicles, the regulating orifice may be located in the rocker cover underneath the snorkle of the air cleaner assembly or in the side of the intake manifold facing the cylinder head and directly below the carburetor mounting plate. For crankcase ventilation system testing, refer to Emission Controls .
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- For carbureted engines, remove the air cleaner for access.
- Loosen the clamp and disconnect the hose from the PCV valve.
- Remove the PCV valve from the mounting grommet. Check the PCV valve for deposits and clogging. The valve should rattle when shaken. If the valve does not rattle, clean the valve with solvent until the plunger is free or replace the valve.
- Check the PCV hose(s) and the grommet for clogging and signs of wear or deterioration. Replace, as necessary.
- Install the PCV valve into the grommet.
- Connect the PCV hose to the PCV valve.
- If removed, install the air cleaner assembly.