REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles and the right inner tie rod from the rack.
- Place a drain pan under the rack assembly and clean around the pressure lines at the rack valve.
- Cut the plastic retaining straps at the power steering lines and hose.
- Remove the power steering pump lines, the rack valve and drain the fluid into the pan.
- Remove the rack and pinion.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures, add fluid, bleed the system and check the toe-in.
See Figure 1
- Remove the steering shaft cover and 3 retaining nuts on the dust boot retaining ring.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the tires and wheels.
- Remove the dust boot from the bulkhead. Place a drain pan beneath the vehicle.
- Remove the pinch bolt from the intermediate steering shaft. Disconnect the tie-rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the hold down bracket from the steering lines.
- Remove the high pressure line from the steering rack and pinion. Remove the rack to crossmember bolts.
- Remove the retaining brackets from the rack mounts. Position the rack away from the mounts.
- Remove the return line from the rack. Remove the intermediate steering shaft knuckle.
- Remove the rack and pinion from the right side of the vehicle.
- Install the rack and pinion from the right side of the vehicle.
- Install the intermediate steering shaft knuckle. Install the return line to the rack.
- Position the rack away on the mounts and install the retaining brackets to the rack mounts.
- Install the rack-to-crossmember bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (59 Nm). Install the high pressure line to the steering rack and pinion and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the hold down bracket from the steering lines.
- Connect the tie-rod ends to the steering knuckles. Tighten the tie rod end nuts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Install the pinch bolt to the intermediate steering shaft.
- Install the dust boot to the bulkhead.
- Install the wheel assemblies. Safely lower the vehicle.
- Install the 3 retaining nuts on the dust boot retaining ring and the steering shaft cover.