Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable before beginning any airbag system component diagnosis, testing, removal, or installation procedures. Allow system capacitor to discharge for two minutes before beginning any component service. This will disable the airbag system. Failure to disable the airbag system may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
The clockspring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel. Its purpose is to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the wiring harness and the driver's side air bag module. This assembly consists of a flat, ribbon-like electrically conductive tape that winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.
Service replacement clocksprings are shipped pre-centered and with a molded plastic locking pin that snaps into a receptacle on the rotor and is engaged between two tabs on the upper surface of the rotor case. The locking pin secures the centered clockspring rotor to the clockspring case during shipment, but the locking pin must be removed from the clockspring after it is installed on the steering column. This locking pin should not be removed until the clockspring has been installed on the steering column. If the locking pin is removed before the clockspring is installed on a steering column, the clockspring centering procedure must be performed.
- Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Remove the clockspring from the steering column.
- Rotate the clockspring rotor counter-clockwise to the end of its travel. Do not apply excessive torque.
- From the end of the counter-clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about three turns clockwise.
- The clockspring is now centered. Turn the rotor slightly clockwise or counterclockwise as necessary so that the clockspring airbag pigtail wires and connector receptacles are at the top and the holes for the clockspring locking pin are in alignment.
- The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Reinstall the clockspring onto the steering column.