- Clamp shaft in a vise (with soft jaws) and support C/V joint.
- Remove clamps with a cut-off wheel or grinder.
- Slide boot down the shaft.
- Remove lubricant from housing to expose the C/V snap ring and remove snap ring.
- Remove bearings from the cage.
- Rotate cage 30 degrees and slide cage off the inner race and down the shaft.
- Remove spread inner race snap ring and remove race from the shaft.
- Remove boot from the shaft and discard.
- Clean and inspect housing , cage , bearings , housing snap-ring , inner race snap-ring and inner race for wear or damage.
- Apply a coat of grease supplied with the joint/boot to the C/V joint components before assembling them.
- Place new clamps on the new boot and slide boot down the shaft.
- Slide cage onto the shaft with the small diameter end towards the boot.
- Install the inner race onto the shaft. Pull on the race to verify snap ring has engaged.
- Align cage with the inner race and slide over the race.
- Turn the cage 30 degrees to align the cage windows with the race.
- Apply grease to the inner race and bearings and install the bearings.
- Apply grease to the housing bore then install the bearing assembly into the housing.
- Install the housing snap ring and verify it is seated in the groove.
- Fill the housing and boot with the remaining grease.
- Slide the boot onto the C/V housing into it-s original position. Ensure boot is not twisted and remove any excess air.
- Secure both boot clamps with Clamp Installer C-4975A. Place tool on clamp bridge and tighten tool until the jaws of the tool are closed.
- Remove inner CV boot and joint.
- Cut outer CV boot clamps.
- Cut boot off CV housing and shaft.
- Clean the CV joint then apply new grease to the joint.
- Slide the new boot on to the shaft and on the CV housing.
- Install boot clamps in original locations.
- Install inner CV joint and boot.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
- Remove half shaft hub/bearing nut.
- Remove wheel speed sensor from hub/bearing.
- Remove brake calipers bolts and remove calipers from caliper adapters.
- Remove lower stabilizer link bolt from control arm.
- Remove outer tie rod end nuts and separate tie rods from knuckles with the proper tool.
- Remove upper ball joint nuts and separate ball joints from knuckles with the proper tool.
- Remove shock clevis bolt and nut from lower control arm
- Lean the knuckle out and push half shaft out of the hub/bearing.
- Pry half shafts from axle/axle tube with pry bar.
- Install half shaft on the axle and through the hub/bearing. Verify halfshaft has engaged.
- Install shock clevis on lower control arm and tighten nut to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm).
- Install upper control arm on knuckle. Torque to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install tie rod end on knuckle. Torque to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install stabilizer link on lower control arm. Torque to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Install caliper on caliper adapter.
- Install wheel speed sensor on the hub/bearing.
- Install half shaft hub/bearing nut and tighten to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).