Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove skid plate, if equipped.
- Remove both half shafts.
- Mark the propeller shaft and pinion companion flange for installation reference.
- Remove the front propeller shaft.
- Rotate the pinion gear three or four times and verify pinion rotates smoothly.
- Record pinion rotating torque with an inch pound torque wrench, for installation reference.
- Position Holder C-3281, or equivalent, against the companion flange and install a four bolts and washers into the threaded holes and tighten the bolts.
- Remove the pinion nut.
- Remove the companion flange with Remover C-452, or equivalent.
- Remove pinion seal with a pry tool or a slide hammer mounted screw.
- Apply a light coating of gear lubricant on the lip of pinion seal.
- Install seal with Installer C-3972-A and Handle C-4171, or equivalent,
- Install the companion flange onto the pinion with Installer 9616, or equivalent.
- Position holder against the companion flange and install four bolts and washers into the threaded holes. Tighten the bolt and washer so that the holder is held to the flange.
Install a new pinion nut onto the pinion shaft and tighten the pinion nut in stages.
NOTENever loosen pinion nut to decrease pinion bearing rotating torque and never exceed specified preload torque. If preload torque or rotating torque is exceeded a new collapsible spacer must be installed.
- Record the pinion rotating torque using a torque wrench. The rotating torque should be equal to the reading recorded during removal plus an additional 0.56 Nm (5 inch lbs.).
If the rotating torque is low, tighten the pinion nut in 6.8 Nm (5 ft. lbs.) increments until the proper
rotating torque is achieved.
NOTEIf the maximum tightening torque is reached prior to reaching the required rotating torque, the collapsible spacer may have been damaged. Replace the collapsible spacer.
- Install propeller shaft with reference marks aligned.
- Add gear lubricant to differential housing if necessary.
- Install half shafts.