Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
CAUTIONThe fuel system is under a constant pressure (even with the engine off). Before servicing the fuel pump module, the fuel system pressure must be released.
- Drain the tank.
- Release fuel system pressure.
- Raise vehicle.
- Thoroughly clean area around fuel fill fitting and rubber fuel fill hose at rear of fuel tank.
- Loosen clamp at tank fitting and disconnect rubber fuel fill hose at fuel tank fitting. Using an approved gas holding tank, drain fuel tank through this fitting.
- Loosen clamp and disconnect rubber fill hose at tank fitting.
- At rear of tank, disconnect fuel pump module electrical jumper connector from body connector.
- Label and disconnect the fuel and any other lines from the front and rear of the tank.
- Support tank with a hydraulic jack.
- Remove bolts and at right side of fuel tank.
- Remove bolts at left side of fuel tank.
- Lower tank for removal.
- Note rotational position of module before attempting removal. An indexing arrow is located on top of module for this purpose.
- Position Special Tool 9340, or equivalent, into notches on outside edge of lockring.
- Install 1 / 2 inch drive breaker bar to tool 9340.
- Rotate breaker bar counter-clockwise to remove lockring.
- Remove lockring. The module will spring up slightly when lockring is removed.
- Remove module from fuel tank. Be careful not to bend float arm while removing.
Whenever the fuel pump module is serviced, the rubber seal (gasket) must be replaced.
- Using a new seal (gasket), position fuel pump module into opening in fuel tank.
- Position lockring over top of fuel pump module.
- Rotate module until embossed alignment arrow points to center alignment mark. This step must be performed to prevent float from contacting side of fuel tank. Also be sure fuel fitting on top of pump module is pointed to driver-s side of vehicle.
- Install Special Tool 9340 to lockring.
- Install 1 / 2 drive breaker into Special Tool 9340.
- Tighten lockring (clockwise) until all seven notches have engaged.
- Position fuel tank to hydraulic jack.
- Raise tank until positioned to body.
- Install and tighten bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Remove hydraulic jack.
- Connect the fuel and other lines at front and rear of tank.
- Connect fuel pump module electrical jumper connector to body connector.
- Connect rubber fill hose to tank fitting and tighten clamp.
- Lower vehicle.
- Fill fuel tank with fuel.
- Start engine and check for fuel leaks near top of module.