Removal & Installation
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove fill hole plug from the differential housing cover.
- Remove differential housing cover and drain fluid.
- Remove axle shafts.
- Note the reference letters stamped on the bearing caps and housing machined sealing surface.
- Loosen the differential bearing cap bolts.
- Position Spreader W-129-B with Adapter Kit 6987B on differential locating holes. Install hold down clamps and tighten the turnbuckle finger-tight.
Install a Pilot Stud C-3288-B at the left side of the differential housing. Attach Dial Indicator C-3339 to pilot stud. Load the indicator plunger against the opposite side of the housing and zero the indicator.
CAUTIONNever spread the housing over 0.25mm (0.010 in). If housing is over-spread, it could distorted and damaged the housing.
- Spread housing enough to remove the differential case from the housing. Measure the distance with the dial indicator.
- Remove the dial indicator.
- While holding the differential case in position, remove the differential bearing cap bolts and caps.
- Remove differential from the housing and tag differential bearing cups to indicate location.
- Remove spreader from housing.
Clean the housing cavity with flushing oil, light engine oil or lint free cloth.
NOTEDo not use water, steam, kerosene or gasoline for cleaning.
The weight of the vehicle must be supported by the springs before suspension arms and track bar fasteners are tightened. If springs are not at their normal ride position, vehicle ride height and handling could be affected.
- Raise axle with lift and align coil springs.
- Install lower suspension arms in axle brackets. Install nuts and bolts, do not tighten bolts at this time.
- Install upper suspension arm on rear axle ball joint.
- Install rear axle ball joint nut and tighten to 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm).
- Install track bar and attachment bolts, do not tighten bolts at this time.
- Install shock absorbers and tighten nuts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install stabilizer bar links and tighten nuts to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Install wheel speed sensors.
- Connect parking brake cable to brackets and lever.
- Install brake rotors and calipers.
- Install the brake hose to the axle junction block.
- Install axle vent hose.
- Align propeller shaft and pinion yoke reference marks. Install U-joint straps and nuts tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the wheels and tires.
- Add gear lubricant, if necessary.
- Remove support and lower the vehicle.
- Tighten lower suspension arm bolts to 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
- Tighten track bar bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).