Outer Tie Rods
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position with the steering wheel centered and locked with a steering wheel lock.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the front tires.
- Loosen the tie rod end jam nuts.
- Remove the outer tie rod end nut and separate the tie rod from the knuckle using the proper tool.
- Mark the position of the tie rod, then count the number of turns when removing the tie rod.
- Thread the tie rod onto the shaft with the same number of turns used to remove it. This will be close to the proper toe adjustment.
- Install the tie rod onto the steering knuckle and tighten the nut to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Set the toe.
- Tighten the jam nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- The remaining installation is the reverse of removal.