Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Perform the fuel pressure release procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belts, removal & installation.
- Remove the accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Remove the bolts for the power steering pump. Reposition the power steering pump aside.
- Remove the crankshaft damper. Refer to Crankshaft Damper, removal & installation.
Remove the lower front timing belt cover fasteners and the lower timing belt cover (1).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Support the engine with a floor jack.
- Remove the air cleaner housing.
- Remove the front engine mount.
- Disconnect the fuel supply line at the fuel rail.
- Remove the upper timing belt cover bolts and remove the front upper timing belt cover.
The timing cover bolts and bolt holes to the engine block must be thoroughly cleaned and free of oil residue before assembly. IN ADDITION add thread sealant to the timing cover bolts that mount to the oil pump.
- Install the front timing belt cover and 14 bolts.
- Tighten the timing cover bolts as follows: