Removal & Installation
All of the vehicles covered use V6 engines and similar ignition systems. The ignition control module removal procedures are similar, differing only in the types of wiring connections.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Tag and detach all the electrical connectors at the ignition control module.
- Note the position of the spark plug wires for installation. Numbered tags of masking tape or other identification will save time at installation. Spark plug wires MUST be returned to their original and proper locations.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the ignition coils.
- Remove the screws securing the coil assemblies to the ignition control module.
- Disconnect the coils from the ignition control module.
- Remove the fasteners securing the ignition control module assembly to the engine.
- Remove the ignition control module.
- Position the ignition control module to the engine and secure with the retaining screws. Tighten the fasteners to 70 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the coils to the ignition module. Install the coil retaining screws and tighten to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the spark plugs wires as noted during removal.
- Install the electrical connectors to the ignition control module. Verify all connections are secure.
- Connect the negative battery cable.