Use care when working underhood around the cooling fans. The fans are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to come on at a certain temperature, even with the engine turned off. Always disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent the fans from starting without warning.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Drain the coolant from the radiator.
CAUTIONNever open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Remove the engine mount strut. Some technicians will disconnect just one and swing the strut out of the way. In this case, loosen the through bolts to prevent shearing the rubber bushings when the strut is moved out of the way for radiator removal. In some cases, it is best to remove the strut and its mounting bracket completely.
- Separate the cooling fan harness connector from the engine harness.
- Separate the low coolant level module harness connector at the module.
- Disconnect the radiator hoses.
- Remove the cooling fan assembly from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the automatic transaxle cooling lines from the radiator
- There should be two small retaining brackets at both ends of the radiator that are removed.
Carefully lift the radiator up and out of the vehicle. Note that the bottom should have locating pins on each end which should fit into grommet-like rubber mounts at installation.
- Use care when handling the radiator. It is constructed of aluminum and should be handled carefully. Install the radiator, making sure that the lower locating pins on each end fit into the grommet-like rubber mounts.
- Connect the transaxle cooling lines to the radiator.
- Assemble both the cooling fan harness connector and the low coolant level module harness connectors.
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of the removal process. When refilling the cooling system, use the proper mix of DEX-COOL®and water. Check for leaks.