- Center the front wheels and lock the steering column. Remove the key from the ignition.
- Disable the SIR (air bag) system. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section.
Remove the air bag module from the steering wheel using the following procedure:
Verify that the SIR system has been disabled.
NOTEThe air bag can be retained to the steering wheel with several different types of fasteners, depending on Model Year and vehicle equipment. A small mirror may be helpful to examine the back of the steering wheel to determine how the air bag is retained on your vehicle. It could be by Torx®screws which are unscrewed using the proper bit (usually a no. 30 driver bit). An alternate method of attachment is by small leaf-type springs which are unclipped with a small flat-blade prytool.
- On the back side of the steering wheel, locate and remove the air bag fasteners.
- Gently pull on the air bag module to free it from the steering wheel.
- Detach the electrical connections from the steering wheel to the air bag module.
- Place the air bag in a safe place, with the trim pad facing upwards.
- Verify that the SIR system has been disabled.
- Scribe an alignment mark on the steering wheel hub in line with the existing mark on the steering shaft.
- Loosen, but do not remove the steering wheel shaft nut, positioning it flush with the end of the steering column shaft. This is protect the steering column shaft threads from the foot of the steering wheel puller center screw.
- Assemble a suitable steering wheel puller (GM recommends their J 1859-A puller with J 36541 special legs) to the steering wheel and pull the wheel loose from the shaft.
Remove the steering wheel shaft nut and the remove the steering wheel. Detach the electrical connectors.
- Route the SIR connector through the steering wheel.
- Align the scribe mark on the steering wheel made at removal with the existing mark on the steering column shaft. Make sure the steering wheel is seated.
- Install the steering wheel shaft nut and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
Install the air bag module using the following procedure:
- Attach the electrical connections to the air bag module.
- If equipped with leaf-spring type clips, line up the air bag module retainers with the openings in the steering wheel. Gently press the air bag module into place until it 'snaps' into place.
- If equipped with screws to retain the air bag, install the screws using care to line up the screw openings.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Check the operation of the horn and steering wheel. Check the operation of the steering wheel switches, as equipped.