Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Drain the rear axle.
- Remove the propeller shaft.
Remove the retaining bolt for the park brake cables at the leaf springs.
NOTEIn the following service procedure, just remove the park brake cables from the actuators. The entire park brake cables DO NOT have to be removed.
Remove the park brake cables from the actuators. Left side shown, right side similar.
Remove the sway bar link from the frame.
Remove the vent hose from the axle housing.
Disconnect the electrical connector for the electronic locking differential, if equipped.
Remove the retaining clips for the brake line.
- Remove the brake hoses from the brake pipes.
Remove the rear speed sensors retaining clips from frame.
- Disconnect the rear speed sensors.
- Support the rear drive axle with a transmission jack stand.
Remove the lower shock absorber mounting bolts.
Remove the U-bolt nuts.
- Remove the U-bolts from the rear axle housing.
- Remove the anchor plate.
Remove the rear leaf spring shackles.
- Remove the shackle bolt and nut.
- Lower the leaf spring to allow enough clearance to remove of the rear drive axle.
- Support the leafs springs with jack stands.
- With the aid of an assistant and using a transmission jack stand and the remove the rear axle assembly from the vehicle.
- Using a transmission jack stand, and the aid of an assistant, position the read drive axle over the rear leaf springs.
- Install the rear leaf spring shackles. Tighten the shackle bolt and nut to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).
- Remove the jack stands.
- Position the U-bolts on the rear axle housing.
- Position the anchor plates on the leaf springs.
- Install the U-bolt nuts. Tighten the nuts to 56 ft. lbs. (76 Nm).
Install the bottom shock absorber nut and bolt. Tighten the nuts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
NOTEAlways use a backup wrench when tightening the brake pipes.
- Install the brake pipes. Tighten the brake lines to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the retaining clips for the brake line.
- Install the retaining bolts for the park brake cables at the rear leaf springs. Tighten the nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the rear speed sensors retainers in the frame.
- Reconnect the speed sensor electrical connector.
- Install the vent hose on the axle housing.
- Reconnect the electrical connector for the electronic locking differential, if equipped.
- Install the sway bar link to the frame.
- Install the propeller shaft.
- Fill the rear axle housing with fluid.
- Remove the support stands.
- Lower the vehicle.