Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper.
- Drain the differential fluid.
- Remove the differential rear cover and the gasket.
Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt.
Remove the pinion shaft.
Push the flange of the axle shaft toward the differential.
Remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft.
NOTEWhen removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make the assembly difficult.
- Remove the axle shaft from the housing.
If the axle is difficult to remove, use the axle remover (J 45859) and the slide hammer (J 2619-01) to remove the axle shaft from the housing.
- Install the axle shaft into the rear axle housing.
- Slide the axle shaft into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.
- Place the lock on the button end of the axle shaft.
- Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.
- Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case.
- Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt. Tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the rear cover and the gasket.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Fill the rear axle. Use the proper fluid.
- Lower the vehicle.