SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and the precautions and procedures before doing repairs or service.
- Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Lock the steering column through the access hole in the lower steering column trim cover using anti-rotation pin J 42640.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Make alignment marks in order to note the relationship between the steering wheel and the steering shaft.
- Loosen the steering wheel nut 2 complete rotations.
- Carefully pull on the steering wheel until it comes loose from the steering column.
Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Remove the steering wheel from the steering column using caution to guide the electrical connectors through it without damaging them.
Improper alignment of the steering wheel to the steering column shaft will cause vehicle damage. In order to prevent vehicle damage, ensure that the steering wheel is properly indexed to the steering column before tightening the steering wheel nut.
- If installing a new steering wheel perform the following:
If installing the original steering wheel perform the following:
- Position the steering wheel to the steering column.
- Align the marks made during the removal of the steering wheel.
- Ensure the electrical connectors are not pinched between the steering column and the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel nut. Tighten the nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Remove anti-rotation pin J 42640.