- Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Lock the steering column through the access hole in the lower steering column trim cover using anti-rotation pin J 42640.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Make alignment marks in order to note the relationship between the steering wheel and the steering shaft.
- Loosen the steering wheel nut 2 complete rotations.
- Carefully pull on the steering wheel until it comes loose from the steering column.
Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Remove the steering wheel from the steering column using caution to guide the electrical connectors through it without damaging them.
- If installing a new steering wheel perform the following:
If installing the original steering wheel perform the following:
- Position the steering wheel to the steering column.
- Align the marks made during the removal of the steering wheel.
- Ensure the electrical connectors are not pinched between the steering column and the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel nut. Tighten the nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Remove anti-rotation pin J 42640.