Removal & Installation
The crankshaft damper is also referred to as the crankshaft balancer.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belt removal and installation.
- Use the crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A, or equivalent, in order to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt.
- Remove and discard the crankshaft balancer bolt.
- Remove the balancer using a universal removal tool.
Ensure both components are aligned correctly or serious engine damage will occur.
- Install the crankshaft balancer onto the crankshaft indexing keyway. Use care to properly align the keyway and the flats on the balancer with the oil pump drive.
- Install the crankshaft balancer using a universal balancer installer.
- Install a new crankshaft balancer bolt and washer. Prevent the crankshaft from rotating when tightening the bolt.
- Tighten the bolt to 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.) plus an additional 125 degrees.
- Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Accessory Drive Belts removal and installation.